A Twist On Goals

I took a break for a few months during my last trimester of pregnancy.  It's great to be back and I hope you all enjoy the posts that will be coming this year.  I really enjoy doing this blog every month.

I was privileged to have my two older sisters come out to TX and help when our baby girl arrived.  I was talking with my sister Angie about goals and what she is hoping to accomplish this year.  She taught me something that I really feel inspired to share.  Every year we make a list of goals that we would like to accomplish by the end of the year.  Many times we find ourselves overwhelmed by the mass quantity of the list or that we aren't accomplishing anything by February or March. We get discouraged and just stop.

This year I would like everyone to think about focusing on a word for the year rather than a list.  Think of one word or short phrase that could encompass the goals you are wanting to achieve.  Think of the list that you would normally write and think of a word that could umbrella it all. This is something that you should do prayerfully.  Get the Lord involved and He will help you with your word.  When Angie mentioned she was doing this very thing this year with her family I knew I had to do it as well.  I just had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to pray and ask the Lord for help with my word.  I had an idea of all the things I wanted to achieve but could not think of one word that would fit it all.

I prayed that very night that we discussed this new way of setting goals.  I thought I would receive an answer right away but I didn't.  I prayed again the following day and still no word came to me right away.  I continued to think of what word could work and about my goals for the year.  That morning as I was feeding my baby girl my word hit me.  I knew exactly what word would be perfect.  My word for the year is "Aware".  I want to be more aware of my spirituality, my physical health, my Savior, my family, when people need a friend, etc.  I want to be more aware of life and those that may need me as well as aware of where I am in life.

I absolutely LOVE this idea of using one word to sum up all you want to do in the year.  After you receive your word I suggest writing it down on a paper and placing it somewhere that you will see it often. You can also find a scripture or quote that would fit with your word and your goals.

Mine is ...

Aware

Where and when we feel the closeness of the Savior depends on us.

President Henry B. Eyring

You can then mount it onto card stock or print it with a pretty boarder.  What ever you would like to do. Just make sure you place it somewhere that you look often or see everyday.  Mine will be on my fridge so that I have a reminder everyday of my "word goal".  

Here is a list of some words or phrases that others have used and may be helpful to you ...

Strength     Service         Live in the Now   Commitment    Inspire             Vacate                    Embrace
Creative     Optimistic    Happiness             Let Go             Organization    Technology Free    Lead
Joy             Love            Healthy Habits      Knowledge      Fulfill               Press Forward        Flexible

Your word may or may not be on the list.  That's why prayer is so important.  Our Savior wants us to succeed and to better ourselves.  He will be more than willing to help you in finding your word.  It's the consistency that can be hard.  The Lord will help us to know where and how we can improve this year.  You just have to ask and think of those things you want to change or improve in your life.

Here's to an incredible 2017!  I look forward to seeing what this year has to offer.  



Popular Posts