Livin the Dream

I have been thinking a lot about dreams lately.  Not the type of dream we get while sleeping but the dreams we yearn or ache for.  Many if not most people have a dream in life that they would like to accomplish. This month I have been thinking a lot about my own family and what rockstars I have in my little circle.  I have incredible sisters and one awesome brother!

My oldest sister Angie has been organized and a very clean person since birth.  Trust me, it's true.  I remember as a child she would play a game with us kids which involved cleaning the house.  She'd have us pick a room to clean or a number that was assigned to a specific room. This was her idea of fun.  To her younger siblings it seemed fun until we all caught on as we got older, haha.  She's always had a clean and organized room.  Her house now is immaculate and one you would want to model yours after.  Angie also has her own business now, A Proper Place, dealing with this specific passion she has loved since she was young.  She's a professional organizer and helps many with their need to organize.  She's amazing at what she does and she LOVES it! Her blog is ataproperplace.blogspot.com if you want to see what she can do :) 

My older sister Erin has loved kids and teaching her entire life.  Growing up we would play school often.  She'd give us younger kids pages to do and then she'd grade them.  Later in life when college came she started working on her undergrad and was blessed with an awesome job that took her away from school.  She stayed on the career path for many years until she woke up one day and said, "Hey if I'm going to be working, I should do something I love."  She quit her job and went back to school to become a teacher.  When she announced this new journey to the family no one was surprised by the course she decided to take.  Now she is teaching fifth grade in Spanish Fork and LOVES every single day she's there.

My younger brother Jimmy has wanted to be a pilot since he could talk.  As a family growing up we would go to an air show every year.  We all absolutely LOVED it.  Air shows are an incredible event and if you have never been you should go.  Jimmy was always the one counting down the days to such an event.  He absolutely loved airplanes and the idea of flying.  As he grew up, his dream and passion never changed.  He wanted to fly.  He first decided to go into the Air Force so he could fly fighter jets like the Blue Angels but soon found out that that dream wouldn't happen. His vision wasn't to par with a fighter pilot. He moved on from this part of his dream but never fully it gave up. After attending college and receiving a masters in city and metropolitan planning and a certificate in urban design, he decided it was time to fulfill a lifelong dream.  He started taking private flying lessons and received his student certificate and is continuing to work towards his private license. Oh the places we will go :) 

My youngest sister Brittany is receiving a master degree from BYU-Idaho in human and social services. Brittany has always been one that has enjoyed education.  I was not at all surprised when she decided to get her masters after her bachelors degree.  She is also one of the most kind hearted and loving people you will ever meet.  She serves so many people whether they are in need or not. She would help you in any way that she could.  She is definitely on the perfect career path.  

Now, why did I just go on and on about my family?  Every single one of my siblings is living their dream!  It may not have been the way they would have thought it would happen but it is happening for them.  Here and now.  Many times people will have a dream and feel it is too late for it or that it just won't happen.  The cool thing about my siblings is that each dream they had did take time and some had to figure out how to fulfill their dream regardless of the course.  


I love this saying because it is very true.  Regardless of what you do in life time will continue to move forward.  Are you doing what you love?  Are you making time for the passions and dreams you have?  Some of the dreams my siblings have are not necessarily career path decisions.  For instance my brother is a city planner/urban designer and not a pilot. However, he made the time for his dream and passion even though he knew it wouldn't be a career. 

A lot of times people think they have to dive in all at once to fulfill their dream.  That may not be the case though.  For instance, my dream is to become an awesome chef.  Am I a chef now? Nope.  Do I see my self going to culinary school in the near future? No. I have three little ones to raise and little time for that :) Do I think I need to move on from my dream? No. The cool thing about a dream is you can start doing things now.  I actually have bought culinary books so I could educate myself on the things I love and I practice cooking new things. 

In college I wanted to be a broadcast journalist.  I worked for a news company as an intern and then worked for a professional soccer team, Real Salt Lake.  I soon realized the dream I had was not at all what I wanted to do.  I found myself gravitating towards the food service side of Real.  I loved talking to the chef there and watching every one work.  That is where my heart desired to be.  I started talking to chefs and looking into schools and realized my dream is to cook :) I may not be able to achieve it within the next few years but I can educate myself now while I wait for the right timing in my life.  Some day I will live that dream.  

Some dreams don't involve an education background either.  Some may just be learning more about a position of choice or passion you may have. A dream does not always mean a career path.  It could be a dream to travel, to be a parent, be married, a homemaker, to get a degree, write a book, running for office, move somewhere, hike something, etc.

I'm grateful to have lived several dreams of mine such as traveling to Africa, traveling to Paris, getting married, being a mom, working for a professional soccer team, meeting a few celebrities, seeing a broadway play and living in New York City.

Start researching now.  Look into those things you enjoy doing.  Talk to people that are already living your dream and see if it fits your personality and life style.  What are you willing to give up in order to achieve this dream or passion?  What do you want from life? These are questions to consider while contemplating your life dream.  If you are having a hard time finding your passions or dream talk to a family member or friend.  They would love to tell you those things you are great at or have a passion for. 

Now...Find your passions.  Find your dreams and RUN WITH IT! 

Popular Posts